What is Kadima?
- Kadima is the name of B’nai Jeshurun’s Hebrew School program. Kadima comes from the root with the Hebrew letters of Kuf, Dalet, and Mem which come together to mean “in front” or, as we would like to say, “moving forward.” In Beresheit 2:8, it is written: “And the Lord our God planted a garden eastward (or forward) in Eden.” We see that, using the root of the word Kadima, even at the very beginning of our journey as a Jewish people, God has already planted the idea that we must look ahead. We continue to uphold this sacred forward momentum at B’nai Jeshurun.
- Through our Kadima program, our learners participate in meaningful exploration of Jewish learning and living. We have a deep and abiding passion for Jewish education, which we strive to revolutionize for our 21st century families. We endeavor to keep Judaism ever-relevant and exciting, and perhaps inspire the uninspired.
At what age does my child start Kadima?
Your child can enroll in Kadima@BJ as early as Kindergarten! By enrolling at an early age, your child will truly feel the full extent of our programming and curriculum. They will be part of the vital learning and community building opportunities that provide the foundation of Jewish education and identity formation.
What days of the week does my child go to Kadima?
- Gan, Aleph, and Bet (Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade) attend Kadima on Tuesday afternoons.
- Gan and Aleph meet from 4:00-5:30PM.
- Bet meets from 4:00-6:00PM.
- Gimmel, Dalet, Hey, and Vav (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade) attend Kadima Tuesday afternoons from 4:00-6:00PM, as well as participating in our elective model:
- Student-only electives are offered on Thursday afternoons from 4:00-6:00PM.
- Family electives are offered on Friday evenings, Saturday mornings, Saturday evenings, and Sunday afternoons; times for these electives vary.
- Zayin (7th grade) and teens come to Kadima on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-7:30PM.
What is the tuition structure?
We are blessed to be part of a synagogue community that has Financial Aid to make Hebrew School within the reach of every family. If you would like to set up a payment plan or apply for financial aid, please contact us. Each grade has a different tuition structure, and all the tuition information is available on our registration form after you select your child’s grade. Contact us to find out more.
Are there opportunities to be engaged outside of Kadima?
- Yes! And, we encourage our Kadima families to participate in as much of our programming as possible.
- We have extensive youth group programming for kids of all ages, family shabbat dinners and holiday programming, children’s services and our Junior Congregation service, volunteer opportunities, trips and retreats, and more!
When does my child learn Hebrew?
- An introduction to Hebrew letters and vowels is integrated into our Gan, Aleph, and Bet classes (Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade).
- Beginning in 3rd grade, all of our students are enrolled in Hebrew Homepage.
- Hebrew Homepage (HHP) is a highly successful online Hebrew learning platform pioneered by The Jewish Journey Project, an initiative of JCC Manhattan. Participants study one-on-one with a tutor from the convenience of their own homes, using a webinar platform for weekly 30-minute sessions.
Is my child done with Kadima after their Bar/Bat Mitzvah?
- The Bar/Bat Mitzvah is just the beginning of your child’s engagement in our programming.
- Children should remain enrolled in Kadima through their 7th grade year, and are encouraged to take advantage of our teen elective options. We also offer robust teen programming for our post B’nai Mitzvah students.