Summer Social Justice Film Series: Refugees, Immigration, Fear, and Compassion
July 21 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
This summer, we are eager to join together in person (and virtually) to explore themes of climate change, the refugee crisis and immigration, Black culture and history, and the healing power of music. Sponsored by Panim: Social Action and Social Justice at BJ, this film series will highlight various social justice issues with relevant speakers and opportunities for conversations with community members. We hope you will join us and be inspired by the films and accompanying conversations.
Refugees, Immigration, Fear, and Compassion
We will watch a series of short films and videos that highlight the struggles of those seeking refuge and entry into the United States:
- Águilas focuses on the plight of Central Americans who are forced to make dangerous treks across the Mexican-U.S. border, and the heroes who attempt to locate those who go missing during the crossing.
- Melanie Nezer, Vice President of Global Public Affairs at HIAS, discusses how we, as individuals and as a nation, can receive refugees with compassion and pragmatism in her 2017 TED Talk.
- Lastly, High Score, a film created by BJ member Ethan Itzkow, explores how online radicalization and extremism can spur and spread harmful conspiracy theories that target people often categorized as “other,” such as immigrants.
With a growing number of displaced refugees in and seeking access to the United States, these films highlight the complicated systems refugees must navigate and how we can respond humanely as a country and as individuals.
- For those joining in person, doors will open at 6:45 PM.
- The film screening (in person and virtual) will begin at 7:00 PM.
- Speakers to be announced.
If you are joining us in person, admission will be $7 per event (or $15 for the whole series) for BJ members and $10 per event (or $25 for the whole series) for non-BJ members.
If you’d like to join us virtually, admission will be $5 per event for BJ members and $7 per event for non-BJ members.