Senior Copywriter (Part-Time)
Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish path that is authentic, profound, and helps all members of our community seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our community is led by Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees advancement, communications, finance and administration, and operations. BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and 10 part-time employees.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800 member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant, contemporary, and relevant Jewish life for all who are seeking it.
Our pivot to all-virtual programming during the COVID-19 pandemic expanded our reach substantially to thousands of additional individuals and families from around the country and beyond, who now regularly join us for prayer and learning. Our unfolding post-pandemic vision is dynamic, diverse, and multi-access where most of our offerings are available in-person in our historic Upper West Side campus, as well as through various online platforms. Additionally, we are building a robust library of on-demand content for our community.
To build upon this momentum and to unfold BJ’s expanding strategic vision beyond our local membership, we recognize the importance of strengthening BJ’s communications and raising our voice dynamically across all touchpoints: in-person and online; locally, nationally, and internationally.
As part of the newly expanded Communications team, the Senior Copywriter (part-time, see below for details) will help create and oversee day-to-day copywriting needs and messaging for the department. These may include: congregational emails and website updates, written communications from our rabbis, statements responding to current events, blog posts, and copy for social media campaigns.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Senior Copywriter will work closely with the Digital Communications Associate and Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Write and edit highly engaging copy, both short and long form, potentially including: thought leadership content and blogs; email communications including editorial newsletters and internal staff communications
- Help draft statements that respond to current events
- Maintain high standards of copywriting and exercising quality control on all copy, sometimes with a quick turnaround
- Help edit and refine writing that is created by our staff and spiritual leaders
- Ensure internal and external content aligns with key BJ’s organizational priorities
- Define audiences and customize copy and content to those channels or groups
- Help strengthen our brand voice and presence
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Five plus years copywriting experience; Jewish community experience a plus
- Granular attention to detail, grammar, and syntax
- Ability to write in different voices
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines. Experience with Monday.com is a plus.
- Experience writing high level communications with a strong and thoughtful message
- Ability to adjust hours based on seasonal needs (ie. at times working evenings and weekends, and during the High Holy Days)
- Jewish knowledge is helpful but not required
Personal Qualities and Values
- High emotional intelligence and maturity;
- Seeks out professional development opportunities and training;
- Relational orientation and team player;
- Strong business acumen;
- Affinity for problem solving by collecting relevant information and applying your understanding;
- Professional presentation and socially adept;
- Recognizing and anticipating communications needs;
- Flexibility, willingness to listen effectively, seek and receive feedback;
- Humble confidence, openness to being mentored;
- Sense of humor.
This is a part-time hourly position with compensation of $30-$35/hour based on experience. This position would be guaranteed a minimum of 10 to 15 hours per week, some weeks requiring more, which would be determined in advance.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three to five published writing samples to Max Orenstein, Communications Director, with the subject line “Senior Copywriter”
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
B’nai Jeshurun (BJ), in recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our spiritual leaders and staff, congregants, and the communities within which we live and work, is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQIA+ applicants.