Sliding Scale Dues
Types of Membership
The membership year is from July 1 through June 30. You can choose one of the following membership categories:
- Individual: Single member (with no children who live with you).
- Family*: Married couple or two individuals living in a partnered relationship, with or without children; single parents with children living at home.
- Full-Time Student: Individuals pursuing an undergraduate or post-graduate degree.
- Young Professional: First-time members aged 20-35.
- BJ Friend**: For those living outside of the tri-state area or beyond commuting distance from the synagogue.
* Family membership includes children 23 years and under.
** BJ Friend Membership does not include admission to High Holy Days services, but does allow you to purchase entrance cards for yourself and your guests at $600 each.
Sliding Scale Membership Dues
July 1, 2019– June 30, 2020
Our sliding scale dues structure allows for significant flexibility, while also helping to ensure the financial health and sustainability of our community. Members pay dues based on their household income, found in the sliding scale plan below. You will not be asked to provide financial documentation of your income; we simply request that each member pledge honestly.
If you are having financial difficulties this year, please do not hesitate to contact the Membership Department to discuss dues or payment plans. No one will be denied membership because of financial circumstances. All financial information is confidential. If you join after October 31, dues are prorated each quarter (except for the BJ Friend membership).
|Annual Household Income||Individual||Family|
For first-time members, couples, or families where at least one adult in the household is aged 20-35. Renewing members who joined BJ at this rate pay dues in $180 increments for the first three years, or until age 35. If you are in a comfortable financial position, we encourage you to pay the sliding scale dues above.
|Annual Household Income||Individual (20-35)||Family (20-35)|
|Year 1 (New Members Only)||$180||$360|
|Year 2 (Renewing members who joined last year)||$360||$540|
|Year 3 (Renewing members)||$540||$720|
BJ has taken significant steps to increase security in recent years. In the past year, our enhanced security costs were over $350,000. In light of recent events throughout the country, we are asking members to pay an annual security fee of between $18 and $180 (based on reported income) to fund additional improvements including enhancing the level of security provided by our security firm.