Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish path that is authentic, profound, and helps all members of our community seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800 member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create a vibrant, contemporary, and relevant Jewish life for all who are seeking it.
Our community is led by Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees advancement, communications, finance and administration, and operations. BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and 10 part-time employees.
Our pivot to all-virtual programming during the COVID-19 pandemic expanded our reach substantially to thousands of additional individuals and families from around the country and beyond, who now regularly join us for prayer and learning. Our post-pandemic vision includes a dynamic hybrid operation where most of our offerings are available in-person in our historic Upper West Side campus, as well as through various online platforms. Additionally, we are building a robust library of on-demand content for our community.
BJ seeks a Membership Associate to provide administrative and strategic support to the Membership Services team within the Advancement Department. This person will interface directly with our community members. A successful candidate will have experience providing high levels of customer service and working with a diverse range of individuals. The right candidate will enjoy learning new concepts and ideas, is graceful under pressure, and is quick on their feet.
The Advancement Department is made up of two arms of fundraising: Membership Services and Development. Both teams operate in a friendly and communal work environment and report to the Advancement Director.
- Offer consistently high levels of customer service in person, online, and by phone to current and prospective members; including responding to inquiries, renewing memberships, setting up payment plans, explaining membership options, connecting members with programs or other staff, and answering billing questions
- Prioritize deadlines and be responsive to member and staff inquiries
- Coordinate and collaborate with Advancement team on High Holy Days and special event preparations
- Process and reconcile expenses, invoices, and other finance-related administrative work
- Coordinate with other departments as needed to resolve member inquiries and concerns
- Monitor the Membership and Advancement email inboxes and log queries accordingly
- Take meeting notes and maintain Advancement folders, documents, and spreadsheets
- Work with Membership Services Manager to execute household account statements
Customer Relationship Management (Salesforce Database)
- Liaise with the finance department on interdepartmental matters
- Maintain database accuracy, entering, and updating household records
- Create various membership reports, tracking metrics and trends
- Proactively identify, report, and address issues of data integrity
High Holy Days
- Serve as point person at the member services desk during the High Holy Days
- Track annual membership renewals, file member requests and changes
- Process requests for guest entrance cards
- Manage entrance card reciprocity
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years of administrative, member service, customer service, or other related work experience
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of staff, clergy, and community members; anticipating the needs of others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure, remaining flexible, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and on a team, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Superior attention to detail, highly developed organizational skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with databases; Salesforce a plus
- Proficiency in Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Windows, and a general comfort with technology
- Ability to adjust hours based on seasonal needs (i.e. at times working evenings and weekends)
- Jewish knowledge is helpful but not required
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time non-exempt (eligible for overtime) position, with an annual base salary between $34,000 and $55,000 based on experience level. BJ offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, sick, and holiday (national and Jewish) pay, and 403(b) retirement plan.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Membership Associate.”
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Physical demands include dexterity for office machine/supply operation including but not limited to computer, telephone, copy machine, and printers. Stooping, bending, and reaching for and carrying files or supplies, and sitting or standing for extended periods of time are common.
B’nai Jeshurun is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our spiritual leaders and staff, congregants, and the communities within which we live and work. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQ+ applicants.