High Holy Days 5782
Last Updated: September 14, 2021 at 10:30PM
As we near the most holy and awesome time of the year, we are filled with longing for the power of what it means to come together as a community to pray, search, and envision together.
For those who registered to come in person, we are taking the utmost precautions to protect the health and safety of all those in our vibrant community. With this in mind, we want to share an update on our High Holy Days plans, affirmed by our Covid Re-Entry Task Force:
- We reduced capacity in each of our services to 70 percent to allow for social distancing between households.
- We consolidated to one main adult service in the BJ Sanctuary for all seven services. With the spiritual leadership all together in this way, we can provide a more powerful prayer experience for all participants, whether they be in person or online. Read more about this decision.
- To maintain our 70 percent capacity plan, we will require proof of full vaccination and a negative PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to the first Rosh Hashanah indoor service you attend and the first indoor Yom Kippur service you attend.
- Please bring paper proof of a negative PCR test result from any qualified provider.
- Proper masking will be required at all times while attending indoor or outdoor services. For the health and safety of each of us, we are requiring at least surgical masks (the typically blue or pink paper masks) or N95 or KN95 masks. Cloth masks alone are not enough. We will have surgical masks available.
- All family and early childhood services will be outdoors and live streamed. All members over the age of 12 are required to present proof of vaccination for outdoor services. We do not require negative PCR test for outdoor services. In the event of rain, these will be held virtually.
5781 has been a year like no other. Our community has come together in ways large and small to support each other. We have drawn strength from the bonds that unite us, even as we have faced significant challenges. It is a loss to not be able to gather in full. But we could not be more proud and honored to lead this remarkable community, and we look forward to the introspection and spiritual growth that this time of year demands of us. Regardless of where we all are, we will join and pray as one.
Leshanah tovah tikatevu—may we, and all humanity, be inscribed for a good, peaceful, and healthy new year.
Yamim Nora’im At-a-Glance
|Date||Event Title||Start Time|
|Wednesday, September 15||Kol Nidre||6:30 PM|
|Kol Nidre: Aviv 20s & 30s||6:30 PM|
|Kol Nidre: Families (Ages 6 and Up)||6:30 PM|
|Thursday, September 16||Yom Kippur Morning Services: Shaharit and Torah Service||9:00 AM|
|Yom Kippur Morning Services: Yizkor||11:45 AM|
|Yom Kippur Morning Services: Musaf||12:45 PM|
|Yom Kippur Morning Services: Seder Ha-Avodah||2:30 PM|
|Yom Kippur Minha and Ne’ila||5:00 PM|
|Aviv 20s and 30s Rooftop Break Fast||8:00 PM|
|Family and Early Childhood Services|
|Yom Kippur Morning Services: Early Childhood Families (Ages 0-5)||9:00 AM|
|Yom Kippur Morning Services: Families (Ages 6 and Up)||10:30 AM|
|Yom Kippur Meditation for Teens||2:00 PM|
|Family Ne’ila||7:15 PM|
All of this is subject to COVID-19 policies and guidance at the time of the High Holy Days, but these are our working assumptions based on the current COVID-19 trajectory.
- Service Offerings: In person & virtual
- In-Person Capacity: 70 percent
- Requirements: Verified fully vaccinated for all indoor services—those who are not fully vaccinated, including children under 12, cannot attend indoor services
- PCR Test: Required within 72 hours of the first service you are attending (indoor only)
- Mask Requirement: Yes
- Social Distancing: Limited capacity will allow for some social distancing.
- Locations: BJ Campus
- Reciprocal and Non-member Guests Allowed: Livestream only
- Aviv 20s and 30s Programming: Yes
Family and Children’s Services
- Service Offerings: In Person & Virtual
- Location: All services will take place outdoors, locations to be confirmed
- Requirements: All members over the age of 12 are required to present proof of vaccination for outdoor services. We do not require negative PCR test for outdoor services.
- Masks: Required
- Social Distancing: Yes
- Children’s Ne’ila Procession: Yes, please register for the family Ne’ila option.
Children and Family Service Offerings
- Family services: led by Rabbi Anne Ebersman and Rabbi Rebecca Weintraub and the BJ Teens, for families with children 6 and up
- Early childhood family services: for families with children from birth through 5 years old
- All Family and Early Childhood services will take place outdoors. Members should look for your High Holy Days registration emails for more details.
*Early childhood services will take place on Yom Kippur.
We will also continue livestreaming our services for those who prefer to join us virtually.
Join or Renew Your Membership
BJ’s 2021-2022 membership season is underway. You can always count on BJ for spiritual guidance, leadership, engagement, and support as we navigate our new, multi-access presence. Join or renew today to select a preferred service to attend for the High Holy Days. Entrance cards are issued only to current members.