Wise Living

Grounded in mindfulness and spiritual practices such as meditation, journaling, movement, and blessings from Judaism and other faith traditions, Wise Living offers social, emotional, and spiritual insights to help individuals meet the challenges of these years with a sustaining spirit. Guided by the book Wise Aging: Living with Joy, Resilience, and Spirit by BJ members Rabbi Rachel Cowan and Linda Thal, peer groups will be led by trained facilitators and meet regularly for meaningful and fulfilling discussions.

Through the generous support of the Renee and Norman Kaufman Memorial Fund, and the Kaufman and Levkov families, B’nai Jeshurun is excited to bring the methodologies and practices of the Wise Aging program to our community. In the near future, we will broaden the impact of the program on our community, and expanding its scope to include individuals from other stages of life, and intergenerational programming for all participants.

Wise Guys: Wise Living for the Men of BJ

Alternating Mondays (October 15 and 29, November 12 and 26, December 3 and 17, January 7 and 28) | 6:30-8:30PM | Home-hosted
Facilitated by trained BJ members Ira Wolfman and Marvin Israelow, this group is for those who self-identify as male.

Apply Now

Empty Nesters

Tuesdays, October 2 and 23, November 6 and 20, December 4 and 18 | 9:15-11:00AM | Home-hosted
Facilitated by trained BJ members Ariella Soffer and Jessica Feder Mantel, this group is for those whose children have recently left home for college, work, or travel following high school. Unlike many Wise Living groups, couples are welcome to participate together in this cohort.

Apply Now

Wise Living for Grandparents:  Bringing Jewish Wisdom and Spirituality to this Role

Mondays October 15 and 22, November 5, 12, 19, and 26  | 6:00-8:00PM | Home-hosted
Facilitated by trained BJ member Rabbi Neil Kurshan, this group is for grandparents and prospective grandparents who want to better understand how to make grandparenting a meaningful part of growing older.  Through the lens of Jewish wisdom, we will explore our connection to our adult children and grandchildren in the hope of leaving an enduring legacy. Unlike many Wise Living groups, couples are welcome to participate together in this cohort.

Apply Now

“Classic” Wise Living (Early-Mid 60s)

Mondays October 29, November 12 and 26, December 10, January 14 and 29, February 11, February 25, March 11 | 6:30-8:30PM | Home-hosted
Facilitated by trained BJ members Alison Pepper and Renee Cherow-O’Leary, this group is geared toward any BJ member over age 60 who is still working or otherwise occupied during the day and could not participate in the day-time spring group.

Apply Now

Winter Wise Living Groups

We will also be offering two additional groups later this year: another “Classic” Wise Living group, to be held in the evenings this winter, for people in the traditional wise living demographic (60s-70s), and a group for parents of young children. More information and registration details to come soon. If you are interested in either of these groups, please let us know.

Please note: Participants will need to obtain a copy of the Wise Aging book, and will be expected to complete readings in between sessions. It is important that all who join a group do so with the intention of attending every session and participating fully in the sessions and the in-between work. This program is open to BJ members only.

A MESSAGE FROM HARVEY KAUFMAN, SON OF RENEE AND NORMAN KAUFMAN

…family was of paramount importance to my mom, and she was, and we are, Jewish to our core in terms of our pride in our heritage and our identity. This was a huge part of what bonded us together as a family, and what drove my dad to start the lecture series in my mom’s memory. It is why we are so moved to bring the Wise Living program to BJ, to expand it to additional life stages, and to create an intergenerational component: it’s the relationships between one generation and the next—and the one after that and the one after that—that brings richness to family life. It’s what I looked forward to the most during the holidays, and what I wanted my children (and I hope, grandchildren one day) to connect to as important in their lives.

Questions? Email Billie or call her on x264.