Hebrew Ulpan Classes אולפן עברית
Monday, May 20 | 5:00-7:00PM and 7:00-9:00PM | Community House
Registration for this series is closed. Classes are held every Monday.
Join members of the BJ, Habonim and Shaare Zedek communities in a small group environment to build and improve your Hebrew conversational skills. The Hebrew Ulpan course teaches the fundamental structure of Hebrew and its basic forms, as well as the necessary vocabulary for everyday conversations, reading, and writing. This class is open to both members and non-members of the three synagogues so invite your friends to join!
You will learn:
- Comprehension: Listening to short stories and recorded conversations.
- Conversation: Simple dialogues and stories from everyday life.
- Reading: Easy dialogues and passages without vowels; headlines; and short, simple texts.
- Writing: Short dialogues and passages on the topics taught in class.
- Grammatical Skills: Elementary syntactic and grammatical structures; inflection of the strong verb in the past and present tenses; and frequent weak verbs.
Learning will be facilitated by current texts and Israeli culture, using day-to-day Hebrew.
Our teacher this year will be Hadas Kadosh, a young Israeli Hebrew teacher who has been on Shlichut on behalf of the World Zionist Organization (WZO) at Ramaz on the UES for the past 3 years. She is a trained Hebrew teacher who graduated with honors with a B.Ed from Levinski teacher’s college and taught Hebrew and Bible studies at Golda Meir middle school in Petach Tikvah. She brings experience, professionalism, passion for Hebrew and teaching, and lots of energy.
We will be offering classes at three levels:
- Beginner – will be determined based on the student’s availability
- Intermediate – Mondays, 5:00-7:00 PM
- Advanced – Mondays, 7:00-9:00 PM
Tuition: $540 for the full year (30 classes in total). Registration closes September 21.
New students will receive a Hebrew placement exam after registering, which will help us place you in a class with other participants who are on a similar level of Hebrew as you. (Returning students are exempt from this test).
For more information, contact Moshe Samuels
Please note: We need a minimum of 30 participants total (between the three classes) in order to run the Ulpan. If we do not reach the minimum number of participants, classes will not go ahead and your tuition will be refunded in full. To ensure a quality experience for all students, enrollment is restricted to a maximum of 20 participants per class.
This program is a collaboration with Habonim and Congregation Shaare Zedek