Discover Sicily with BJ
Monday, May 28-Tuesday, June 5, 2018 (Departing New York Sunday, May 27)
Sign up now for a unique adventure led by Rabbi Adina Lewittes, accompanied by Executive Director Colin A. Weil.
Tour spectacular ruins, taste fabulous wines and olive oils, enjoy sumptuous Sicilian meals, explore haunting catacombs, craft handmade chocolate, view exquisite art, walk breathtaking trails, encounter local artisans and community leaders.
Encounter one of the oldest Jewish diasporas. Descend into 2000 year-old mikvehs (the oldest in Europe), visit a unique 700-year old Aron Kodesh inside a hilltop church, discover hidden signatures of Jews who helped build some of the most beautiful Sicilian edifices, and meet community leaders bringing Judaism back to life on this magical, majestic island.
Magnificent scenery and unique cultural experiences will serve as the settings for our informal, interactive learning and reflection, which will help us weave together an understanding not only of the people and places we’re visiting, but of our own place in the ongoing unfolding of the Jewish story in Sicily and, more importantly, of our own Jewish stories right here at home
Join us for an adventure that will be intellectually and spiritually enriching, deeply transformational, and a whole lot of fun.
Cost (including air, ground, and accommodations)
- Double occupancy: $5,350 per person
- Single occupancy: $6,500 per person
- PLUS $1,800* tax-deductible gift to BJ (per person)
* Non-members of BJ are very welcome to take part in this unique experience. For non-members, the tax-deductible gift required will be $2,100, which includes a one-year BJ Friend membership.
- A $500 non-refundable deposit is due by Sunday, January 28**
- The balance (excluding gifts) is due in full by Tuesday, February 27
- The deposit and balance should be paid directly to E Clarke Travel. Checks should be made out to E Clarke Travel and delivered to BJ, attention Lisa Steinberg. To pay by credit card, contact Karen Essafi at email@example.com or 201-767-0203. Please note that credit card payments will incur a 4% processing fee.
- American Express card holders can use their Reward Account to cover the cost (full or part) of the trip
- Tax-deductible gifts must be paid in full (to BJ) no later than Saturday, June 30
** In order to confirm the trip we must have 30 confirmed travelers by January 28. If the trip does not go ahead, all deposits will be refunded in full.
We can take a maximum of 35 travelers. Confirmation will be on a first-come basis with payment of the deposit. We will have a wait list if there is interest that exceeds capacity.
Information Sessions with Rabbi Adina Lewittes or Colin A. Weil
- Thursday, January 11 | 1:00-2:00PM in the BJ Chapel with Dini
- Saturday, January 13 | Colin will be available during kiddush for an informal chat and Q&A
- Thursday, January 18 | 7:00-8:00PM in the BJ Middle Room with Colin
- Tuesday, January 23 | 6:30-7:30 PM in the BJ Chapel with Dini
To R.S.V.P (or if you can’t make any of the above sessions but would like to speak to Dini or Colin) please contact Lyndsey Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org or x239.
If you have any logistical questions or to reserve your space now, contact Lisa Steinberg at email@example.com or x228.