Hebrew Ulpan – אולפן עברית
Mondays or Tuesdays, beginning September 18, 2017 | 89th Street Community House
Learn Hebrew at BJ! Join other members of the BJ community in a small group environment to build and improve your Hebrew conversational skills. The Hebrew Ulpan course is designed to enable students to recognize the fundamental structure of Hebrew and its basic forms, as well as to acquire the necessary vocabulary for everyday conversations, reading, and writing:
- Comprehension: Listening to short stories and recorded conversations.
- Conversation: Simple dialogues and stories from everyday life.
- Reading: Easy dialogues and passages without vowels; headlines; and short, simple texts.
- Writing: Short dialogues and passages on the topics taught in class.
- Grammatical Skills: Elementary syntactic and grammatical structures; inflection of the strong verb in the past and present tenses; frequent weak verbs.
All learning will take place through exposure to current texts and Israeli culture, using day-to-day Hebrew.
Your teacher will be Ora Yair, who has a Teacher Certificate from the Sha’anan Teachers College in Haifa and a Masters in English literature from Haifa University. She has 22 years of experience as a teacher, and is currently a Shliha (emissary) of the World Zionist Organization, teaching Hebrew at SAR High School in Riverdale. She’s been teaching at our Ulpan for the past couple of years and has received marvelous testimonials from her students.
We will be offering classes at three levels:
- Beginner: Tuesdays, 7:00-9:00PM
- Intermediate: Tuesdays, 5:00-7:00PM
- Advanced: Mondays, 7:00-9:00PM
Tuition: $530 for the full year (30 classes in total). Registration closes August 30.
New students will receive a Hebrew placement exam after registering, which will help us place you in a class with other participants with a similar level of Hebrew as you. (Returning students are exempt from this test).
For more information, contact Moshe Samuels.
Please note: We need a minimum of 30 participants total (between the three classes) in order to run the Ulpan. If we do not reach the minimum number of participants, classes will not go ahead and your tuition will be refunded in full. To ensure a quality experience for all students, enrollment is restricted to a maximum of 20 participants per class.